European Solidarity Corps
spend two months in Zagreb, Croatia
Become a part of our team!
Learn about natural gardening, working with children, environmental protection, vegetarianism etc.
Project you can apply for:
14th September – 12th November 2020
We will host 12 short-term volunteers during each mobility period!
Why Apply for this opportunity?
Become a part of our happy international team! Enjoy working with people who love their job in a supportive and professional atmosphere.
Learn how to work with children using creative, innovative, and non-formal education tools in school gardens and in classrooms.
Learn the basics of natural urban gardening and how to inspire children (and yourself!) for sustainable actions and healthier lifestyle that respect our planet.
Live in the city with a heart! Zagreb is one of the top destinations in Europe,
a large and dynamic city which managed to stay romantic and safe.
Become more independent and responsible by living abroad and cohabiting in a hostel with the people from all over the world.
Learn how a good functioning NGO works in our green office in the very centre of Zagreb with the most beautiful terrace garden.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for young people aged 18-30 from the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Spain.
• Highly motivated and proactive
• able to communicate in English
• eager to work with children
• eager to learn about gardening
• willing to take part in a vegetarian/vegan challenge during the project *
• interested in environment, creative expression (DIY, arts and crafts etc.), sustainability, vegetarianism, veganism, healthy diet and lifestyles in general, and/or volunteering
• not afraid of physical work outside, insects, getting dirty etc.
During selection advantage will be given to motivated participants facing fewer opportunities
* Promoting vegetarianism is important to us from two aspects – sustainability and nonviolence. The excessive consumption of meat in the modern societies has a big negative ecological footprint. We think it is important to change this negative trend and show by example how it is possible to consume little or no meat at all, be healthy and eat tasty happy food!
About the project
The “Green Fingers” is an ESC opportunity that will bring together 12 short-term volunteers to Zagreb and engage them in maintaining urban school gardens together with children and teachers in several primary schools in Zagreb, Croatia.
This project’s objectives are to:
1) help children and young people reconnect with nature in an urban environment by working in gardens
2) help children and young people gain competences about environment protection, sustainability, healthy lifestyles etc. and put them into practice using non-formal education methods.
We have been implementing this project since 2015 with the helping hands of 66 hosted volunteers.
The project activities in which volunteers will take part are divided into these main groups:
• Gardening with and without children (involves some physical work, getting dirty, getting into contact with insects etc.)
• Preparing and implementing language workshops for children
• Preparing and implementing DIY, craft, recycling, and other creative activities with children
• Preparing and implementing educational activities about environment with children
• On-arrival training
• Introduction to Croatian language and culture
• Gardening training: tools, techniques
• Introduction to working with children and behaving in schools
• Workshop planning and preparation
• Personal development workshops
• Philosophical discussions
• Study visits
• Planning and organising Garden Festivals (big celebrations with fun activities for children)
• Organising a public awareness activity
• Organising an international vegetarian cooking workshop
• Personal project – all volunteers will have an opportunity to develop a personal project, which will contribute to their satisfaction and support their learning goals
About the EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS
As a European Solidarity Corps volunteer you have the right to:
- accommodation in a hostel in shared rooms with up to 2-3 other volunteers, shared bathroom and kitchen with the possibility to do the laundry
- vegetarian/vegan lunch on working days
- food allowance
- pocket money
- complimentary health insurance (EU residents) or full health insurance (non-EU residents)
- public transportation card
- travel cost reimbursement (one return journey) up to the maximum cost as stated in the ESC programme rules
previous green fingers projects
“I was amazed how children are willing to work and cooperate.
It was fun using the garden tools and learning their names in Croatian.”
“I felt inspired and motivated while spending time with the children and the volunteers. I am bringing back home a lot of feelings with new experiences and friendships.”
“I was happy teaching Greek alphabet in the classroom full of kids.”
O.A.ZA. – Sustainable Alternative to Community (in Croatian “Održiva Alternativa ZAjednici“) is a nonprofit organization established in January 2013 in Zagreb, Croatia. Our aim is to provide programs and create a motivating environment for the development of young people who will become model leaders of sustainable development.
We chose our name: “sustainable” because we promote sustainable development as a way of life and action. “Alternative” because we advocate for lifestyles and mindsets which aren’t so common in today’s consumerist world. “Community” because we want to encourage the growth of young leaders who will guide the society towards sustainable future. The acronym O.A.ZA. also means “oasis“ in Croatian – if you have a chance to visit our office in the center of Zagreb, you will see for yourself that nomen est omen as our office is full of plants which makes it feel a bit like a jungle 😉
Our holistic approach to personal development helps young people adopt a positive value system and empowers them to take responsibility for themselves, other people and the planet. We focus on youth work, leadership, social entrepreneurship, and environmental protection.
how to apply
1. GO TO European Youth Portal THIS PAGE AND APPLY FOR “GREEN FINGERS” HERE and for “GREN FINGERS- Autumn in School Gardens” HERE THERE (YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP!)
2. FILL IN THE APPLICATION FORM BELOW
3. WAIT FOR US TO CONTACT YOU WITH FURTHER INFO ABOUT SELECTION
5th July 2020
Still have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to your applications!